Saturday, April 2, 2011

Counting to 100!

In Kindergarten the states goal is that all Kindergarten kids should be able to count to 30. This seems easy but believe it or not most my kids could not do it at the beginning of the year. I try to get them to thirty and then to 100. Most of the time when kids can count past thirty they can do the rest because its a pattern. I have a hundreds chart with their frog on it and when they count to 100 they get to put a fake fish in a fake fish bowl and they get a prize. They are so proud of themselves when that number moves to the 100. Its hard to explain and I will post a picture later.


Yesterday I was having some kids count for me. I looked at the hundred's chart when I was done and felt so proud to be a teacher. All but 8 of my 50 kids (A.M. and P.M. Kinder) can count to 100! I was a little worried about a lot of things at the beginning of the year and this was one of them. I should have taken a before and after picture because the difference is amazing. I am so proud of my kids and their parents for working so hard to get them to this point. It is a huge acomplishment and I couldn't ask for a better job. I love what I do.



p.s. 85% of my kids are also reading books with 4 of my kids reading on a mid second grade level (they came in already reading). Most my kids hardly knew any of their letters and sounds at the beginning. They are so ready for first grade and it makes me so proud to be their teacher. People tell me it is my doing but I really can't take all the credit. My kids are so smart and have worked so hard to become good students. Seriously this job is so rewarding. I am not trying to brag so please don't take it that way. I am just so proud of the hard work my kids have put in.

No comments: