Thursday, September 15, 2011

The birth.

I was right about one thing when it came to Ellie's birth....it was far from boring.

We went in at 6:00 a.m. to be induced on Monday the 12th. They admitted me, got me hooked up to pitocin and then we waited. When they checked me I was 90% and almost a 3. At this point the contractions weren't too bad and I was feeling good about the whole thing except for the fact that I could never get comfortable. At around 10:00 my doctor came and broke my water which made my contractions speed up. My contractions started coming every two minutes and were so painful. I waited as long as I could to get the epidural but I just couldn't do it anymore so I finally got it around 12:00. The epidural is fabulous, after you get it. The getting part sucks....The needle was surprisingly not what hurt me. It was the stuff they put in you that pretty much sends electric shock down your legs...It was worth it though. Anyway.
They checked me at about 1:45 and I was only at a 4 but I was now 100%. I finally got some sleep but I kept feeling pressure and cramping on one side so then I would have to switch to the other side. I was trying to lay on my back but I kept feeling like I had to throw up so I couldn't do that at all. Two hours later at 3:45 they came and checked me and suprisingly I was complete. We found out later that's why I kept feeling like I was going to throw up and why I could feel the pressure on either side. I was progressing so fast my body couldn't keep up.
The nurse said that her head had to decend so we would give it an hour. I layed on my side and about 15 minutes later started feeling so much pressure. AE went and grabbed the nurse and to everyones surprise she was in the go position. I started pushing and let me tell you, next time I am pregnant I am working my arms out because they were so sore from holding up my legs. Anyway, I was pushing and then would have to take a break because my doctor had three women become complete at the same time. He kept running and working on each woman then would have to leave to the next one. Very exciting for him to say the least.
Well at this point I am feeling a lot of pressure, more than you should with an epidural. Come to find out my epidural was wearing off and I was pretty much pushing all natural. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be just so much pressure and burning. At this point I was getting so incredibly sick and kept feeling the urge to throw up. After a couple more contractions I looked at the nurse and told her that I wasn't going to make it and that I really needed to throw up. She handed me a bag and that's just what I did (sorry tmi). While I am sitting there throwing up it was helping push Ellie out and it actually made her crown.
So there I am feeling everything with her crowned and I couldn't push. I kept telling them I needed to but I had to wait because my doctor was delivering a baby at that very moment. So we waited and waited for 20 mins which ended up being a good thing because I hardly tore at all. They gave me a little more epidural which helped me to relax and we kept waiting for the doctor. Finally at 6:07 he came back in the room and one push later she was in my arms. After pushing for two hours, give or take a half hour, she was here and neither of us could believe it.
Her birth was the most exciting, exhausting, humbling, amazing, etc. experience of my life. I would do it again 1 million times for this sweet baby that we have. She has brought a spirit into our home that I can't describe and everyone is smitten with her, especially her dad. Her and A.E. have the most amazing bond that makes me tear up on a daily basis. Anyway, we are loving being parents and feel honored that Ellie picked us to take care of her.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Sweetest thing I've ever read. :)