Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A day in labor and delivery.

I spent three hours in labor and delivery today. It was fun... ha ha not so much. I went in on doctors orders to make sure I wasn't in labor. I will give you a background story.

So Sunday night when I laid down to go to sleep I could feel some contractions. Since they are normal at this stage in the game I didn't think anything of it. Monday rolls around and I was in Logan for a gifted conference and had been sitting all day long. I get to my hotel around four and laid down on the bed and all of a sudden they started coming again. They were starting to worry me because after an hour they hadn't eased up and were coming really close together. I started monitoring them and realized they were coming every minute with some coming every thirty seconds. I continued to monitor them for the next five hours and nothing changed. This scared me because I know that contractions are normal but not this close together and they were starting to cause cramping. I took a bath and went to bed where they eased up to about every 30 minutes apart.

This morning when I got up I was still having them but they were coming every half hour to an hour apart. I called my doctor to see what he wanted me to do and he said I needed to get to labor and delivery because the way that they were coming yesterday is not normal this early. So they get me checked in and start monitory everything. They also checked me to make sure I hadn't progressed and ran some tests. After three hours the nurse came in and told me I need to be moving as much as possible...... what kind of pregnant person gets put on the opposite of bed rest? Oh well I prefer this over bed rest anyway. They also told me that I was dehydrated (even though I drink 12 oz. of water a day) so I need to drink 3qts of water a day and that I am forbidden to lay on my back anymore because that speeds my contractions up. The great news is that baby won't be coming anytime in the near future and I have not progressed at all.

I hope the next time I see that place will be in September!

1 comment:

nikki said...

Sheesh! Sounds like a crazy few days! I'm really glad everything is okay, and I hope that baby girl cooks in your belly for quite a bit longer :)